FIRST REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 627
94TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES McCLANAHAN (Sponsor), WALSH, BAKER (25), JOHNSON, NORR, SCHIEFFER, AULL, GEORGE, DOUGHERTY, DONNELLY, HODGES, NASHEED, YAEGER, CHAPPELLE-NADAL, BROWN (50), CURLS, ZWEIFEL, KOMO, SHIVELY, HOLSMAN, FALLERT, SCHOEMEHL, PAGE, BURNETT, SKAGGS, GRISAMORE, LOW (39), LeVOTA, ZIMMERMAN, ROORDA, YOUNG, SCAVUZZO, WILDBERGER, OXFORD, BLAND, HAYWOOD, STORCH, VOGT, MEADOWS, DAUS, FRAME AND BRUNS (Co-sponsors).
Read 1st time January 25, 2007 and copies ordered printed.
D. ADAM CRUMBLISS, Chief Clerk
To amend chapter 320, RSMo, by adding thereto one new section relating to carbon monoxide detection devices.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Chapter 320, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto one new section, to be known as section 320.066, to read as follows:
320.066. 1. The following terms shall mean:
(1) "Approved carbon monoxide alarm", a device meant for the purpose of detecting carbon monoxide that is certified by a nationally recognized testing laboratory to conform to the latest Underwriters Laboratories Standards;
(2) "Dwelling unit", premises or part thereof occupied, used, or held out for use and occupancy as a place of abode for human beings, whether occupied or vacant;
(3) "Installed", an approved carbon monoxide alarm that is hard-wired into the electrical wiring of the dwelling unit or residential property;
(4) "Operational", working and in service.
2. Every newly constructed residential property or rental property that is a dwelling unit shall be equipped with an approved and operational carbon monoxide alarm installed within ten feet of each room lawfully used for sleeping purposes. Such carbon monoxide alarm shall also be installed within ten feet of each room lawfully used for sleeping upon the sale of an existing residential property or upon any change or renewal of a lease of a rental property that is a dwelling unit.
3. The owner of a rental property that is a dwelling unit which is required to be equipped with one or more approved carbon monoxide alarms shall:
(1) Provide and install one approved and operational carbon monoxide alarm within ten feet of each room lawfully used for sleeping;
(2) Replace any required carbon monoxide alarm that has been stolen, removed, found missing, or rendered inoperable within the dwelling unit; and
(3) Keep and maintain the device in good repair.