SECOND REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 1147
92ND GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES STEVENSON (Sponsor), RUESTMAN, HUNTER, RICHARD,
EMERY AND WILSON (130) (Co-sponsors).
Read 1st time January 15, 2004, and copies ordered printed.
STEPHEN S. DAVIS, Chief Clerk
To repeal section 174.453, RSMo, and to enact in lieu thereof one new section relating to qualifications for the board of governors of Missouri Southern State University - Joplin.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Section 174.453, RSMo, is repealed and one new section enacted in lieu thereof, to be known as section 174.453, to read as follows:
174.453. 1. The board of governors shall be appointed as follows:
(1) Five voting members shall be selected from the counties comprising the institution's historic statutory service region as described in section 174.010, except that no more than two members shall be appointed from any one county with a population of less than two hundred thousand inhabitants;
(2) Two voting members shall be selected from any of the counties in the state which are outside of the institution's historic service region; and
(3) One nonvoting member who is a student shall be selected in the same manner as prescribed in section 174.055.
2. The term of service of the governors shall be as follows:
(1) The voting members shall be appointed for terms of six years; and
(2) The nonvoting student member shall serve a two-year term.
3. Members of any board of governors selected pursuant to this section and in office on May 13, 1999, shall serve the remainder of their unexpired terms.
4. Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection 1 of this section, the board of governors of Missouri Southern State University - Joplin shall be appointed as follows:
(1) Five voting members shall be selected from any of the following counties: Barton, Jasper, Newton, McDonald, Dade, Lawrence, and Barry provided that no more than three of these five members shall be appointed from any one county;
(2) Two voting members shall be selected from any of the counties in the state which are outside of the counties articulated in subdivision (1) of this subsection;
(3) One nonvoting member who is a student shall be selected in the same manner as prescribed in section 174.055; and
(4) The provisions of subdivisions (1) and (2) of this subsection shall only apply to board members first appointed after August 28, 2004.