SPONSOR: Klarich (Hoppe)
COMMITTEE ACTION: Voted "do pass by consent" by the Committee on Local Government
and Related Matters by a vote of 15 to 0.
This substitute makes changes in the St. Louis Boundary Commission law. The substitute:
(1) Allows a proposing agent to make minor changes to a boundary change proposal after the
proposal has been submitted to the boundary commission;
(2) Requires a simplified boundary change petition to be signed by 75% of the residential
(3) Requires a $2,000 fee to be submitted by the municipality with every boundary change
(4) Redefines the definition of "unincorporated pocket" to include areas with a population of no
more than 200; under current law the population requirement is an area with a population less
(5) Requires a 3-year waiting period before reconsideration of a disapproved boundary change;
(6) Requires boundary change petitions to be presented to the commission within 280 days
following the date that the first signature was obtained; and
(7) Allows unincorporated areas of the county to remain unincorporated after certain conditions
have been met and approved by the voters. If a proposal to remain unincorporated is approved,
then the area will remain unincorporated for 7 years.
Action may be taken against the boundary commission if it fails to comply with provisions of this
The substitute allows unimproved property within municipalities in Jackson County to be
annexed by ordinance by another municipality. The annexation may be stopped by written notice
by the municipality containing the unimproved property.
The substitute also change certain annexation laws allowing a majority of owners of agricultural
property to file objections to proposed annexation.
FISCAL NOTE: No impact on state funds.
PROPONENTS: Supporters say that this bill would stop disputes between some municipalities
and make annexation easier.
Testifying for the bill was Senator Klarich.
OPPONENTS: There was no opposition voiced to the committee.
Steve Bauer, Legislative Analyst