SECOND REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE COMMITTEE SUBSTITUTE FOR
HOUSE BILL NO. 2125
97TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
5926H.02P D. ADAM CRUMBLISS, Chief Clerk
To amend chapter 191, RSMo, by adding thereto two new sections relating to public health.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Chapter 191, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto two new sections, to be known as sections 191.990 and 191.1140, to read as follows:
191.990. 1. The MO HealthNet division and the department of health and senior services shall collaborate to coordinate goals and benchmarks in each agency’s plans to reduce the incidence of diabetes in Missouri, improve diabetes care, and control complications associated with diabetes.
2. The MO HealthNet division and the department of health and senior services shall submit a report to the general assembly by January first of each odd-numbered year on the following:
(1) The prevalence and financial impact of diabetes of all types on the state of Missouri. Items in this assessment shall include an estimate of the number of people with diagnosed and undiagnosed diabetes, the number of individuals with diabetes impacted or covered by the agency programs addressing diabetes, the financial impact of diabetes, and its complications on Missouri based on the most recently published cost estimates for diabetes;
(2) An assessment of the benefits of implemented programs and activities aimed at controlling diabetes and preventing the disease;
(3) A description of the level of coordination existing between the agencies, their contracted partners, and other stakeholders on activities, programs, and messaging on managing, treating, or preventing all forms of diabetes and its complications;
(4) The development or revision of detailed action plans for battling diabetes with a range of actionable items for consideration by the general assembly. The plans shall identify proposed action steps to reduce the impact of diabetes, prediabetes, and related diabetes complications. The plan also shall identify expected outcomes of the action steps proposed in the following biennium while also establishing benchmarks for controlling and preventing diabetes; and
(5) The development of a detailed budget blueprint identifying needs, costs, and resources required to implement the plan identified in subdivision (4) of this subsection. This blueprint shall include a budget range for all options presented in the plan identified in subdivision (4) of this subsection for consideration by the general assembly.
3. The requirements of subsections 1 and 2 of this section shall be limited to diabetes information, data, initiatives, and programs within each agency prior to the effective date of this section, unless there is unobligated funding for diabetes in each agency that may be used for new research, data collection, reporting, or other requirements of subsections 1 and 2 of this section.
191.1140. 1. Subject to appropriations, the University of Missouri shall manage the “Show-Me Extension for Community Health Care Outcomes (ECHO) Program”. The department of health and senior services shall collaborate with the University of Missouri in utilizing the program to expand the capacity to safely and effectively treat chronic, common, and complex diseases in rural and underserved areas of the state and to monitor outcomes of such treatment.
2. The program is designed to utilize current telehealth technology to disseminate knowledge of best practices for the treatment of chronic, common, and complex diseases from a multidisciplinary team of medical experts to local primary care providers who will deliver the treatment protocol to patients, which will alleviate the need of many patients to travel to see specialists and will allow patients to receive treatment more quickly.
3. The program shall utilize local community health care workers with knowledge of local social determinants as a force multiplier to obtain better patient compliance and improved health outcomes.