SECOND REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE COMMITTEE SUBSTITUTE FOR
HOUSE BILL NO. 1326
97TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
5021H.02P D. ADAM CRUMBLISS, Chief Clerk
To amend chapter 261, RSMo, by adding thereto four new sections relating to the Missouri dairy industry revitalization act.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Chapter 261, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto four new sections, to be known as sections 261.270, 261.272, 261.273, and 261.275, to read as follows:
261.270. 1. The provisions of sections 261.270 to 261.275 shall be known and may be cited as the “Missouri Dairy Revitalization Act of 2014”.
2. There is hereby created in the state treasury the “Missouri Dairy Industry Revitalization Fund”, which shall consist of moneys appropriated to the fund. The state treasurer shall be custodian of the fund. In accordance with sections 30.170 and 30.180, the state treasurer may approve disbursements of the fund. Upon appropriation by the general assembly, moneys in the fund shall be used solely to enhance and improve Missouri’s dairy and dairy processing industries in the manner provided for in sections 261.270 to 261.275. Notwithstanding the provisions of section 33.080 to the contrary, any moneys remaining in the fund at the end of the biennium shall not revert to the credit of the general revenue fund. The state treasurer shall invest moneys in the fund in the same manner as other funds are invested. Any interest and moneys earned on such investments shall be credited to the fund.
3. Each fiscal year the University of Missouri shall conduct research or contract with an independent research company to conduct research to determine the estimated sales tax revenue generated in the state from sales of dairy products. The cost for such calculation shall be paid out of the Missouri dairy industry revitalization fund. The estimated sales tax revenue generated in the state from the sales of dairy products shall be calculated and provided to the department of agriculture by October first of each year.
4. Moneys appropriated from the general revenue fund to the Missouri dairy industry revitalization fund shall not exceed forty percent of the estimated sales tax revenue generated in the state from sales of dairy products during the preceding fiscal year calculated under subsection 3 of this section and shall be expended in the following order of priority:
(1) First, to the dairy producer margin insurance premium assistance program created in section 261.272;
(2) Second, to the Missouri dairy scholars program created in section 261.273; and
(3) Third, to the commercial agriculture program created in section 261.275.
261.272. 1. The department of agriculture shall establish and administer, through the Missouri agricultural and small business development authority, a dairy producer margin insurance premium assistance program for the purpose of assisting dairy producers who participate in the federal margin protection program for dairy producers as contained in the federal Agricultural Act of 2014.
2. All dairy producers in the state who participate in the federal margin protection program for dairy producers shall be eligible to apply to participate in the dairy producer margin insurance premium assistance program. Dairy producers shall apply with the Missouri agricultural and small business development authority by January first of each year. The department of agriculture shall promulgate rules and regulations to implement the dairy producer margin insurance premium assistance program.
3. Participating dairy producers who have paid their annual federal premium payment in accordance with the federal Agricultural Act of 2014 and who provide proof of such payment to the Missouri agricultural and small business development authority shall be eligible to have a portion of their premium payment reimbursed. Eligible dairy producers shall receive seventy percent of their federal premium payment up to a maximum premium reimbursement rate of thirty-four cents per hundredweight of milk.
4. The University of Missouri and the Missouri agricultural and small business development authority shall provide risk management training for Missouri dairy producers annually.
261.273. 1. There is hereby established the “Missouri Dairy Scholars Program”, which shall be administered by the department of agriculture. The program shall, upon appropriation, provide scholarships, subject to the eligibility criteria enumerated in this section, for eligible students in an agriculture-related degree program who make a commitment to work in the agriculture industry in Missouri as a condition of receiving such scholarship.
2. Subject to appropriation, each year the department of agriculture shall make available to eligible students up to eighty scholarships in the amount of five thousand dollars to assist with the cost of eligible students’ tuition and fees at a two-year or four-year college or university in Missouri. Such amount shall be paid out of the Missouri dairy industry revitalization fund created in section 261.270.
3. As used in this section, the term “eligible student” shall mean an individual who:
(1) Is a United States citizen and a Missouri resident who attended a Missouri high school;
(2) Is pursuing or has attained an agriculture-related degree approved by the department of agriculture and offered by a two-year or four-year college or university in Missouri;
(3) Signs an agreement with the department of agriculture in which the recipient agrees to work in the agriculture industry in Missouri for at least two years for every one year the recipient received the Missouri dairy scholars scholarship;
(4) Has graduated from high school with a cumulative grade point average of at least two and one-half on a four-point scale or equivalent;
(5) Maintains a cumulative grade point average of at least two and one-half on a four-point scale or equivalent while enrolled in the college or university program; and
(6) Works on a dairy farm or has a dairy-related internship for at least three months of each year the recipient receives the Missouri dairy scholars scholarship.
261.275. The University of Missouri’s commercial agriculture program shall conduct an annual study of the dairy industry and shall develop a dairy-specific plan for how to grow and enhance the dairy and dairy processing industries in Missouri. The results of such study shall be reported to the department of agriculture and all agriculture-related legislative committee chairpersons by January first of each year. The costs for such study shall be subject to appropriations and shall be paid out of the Missouri dairy industry revitalization fund created in section 261.270.