SECOND REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 1232
97TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVE HAAHR.
4760H.01I D. ADAM CRUMBLISS, Chief Clerk
To amend chapter 173, RSMo, by adding thereto one new section relating to the show-me future program.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Chapter 173, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto one new section, to be known as section 173.1050, to read as follows:
173.1050. 1. This section shall be known and may be cited as the “Show-Me Future Program”.
2. The department of higher education shall, in consultation with the coordinating board of higher education, consider the creation of a pilot program, to be implemented in one or more public institutions of higher education and one or more community colleges, to replace the current system of charging students tuition and fees for enrollment at public institutions of higher education or community colleges.
3. If the department, in consultation with the coordinating board of higher education, determines that a pilot program is warranted, the department shall submit a proposed pilot program to the general assembly by January 1, 2015 for approval.
4. A proposed pilot program shall:
(1) Allow students who are residents of the state and who qualify for admission to the institution to enroll in the institution without paying tuition or fees;
(2) Provide that, in lieu of paying tuition and fees, students must sign binding contracts to pay to the state of Missouri or the institution a certain percentage of the student’s annual adjusted gross income upon graduation from the institution for a specified number of years;
(3) Specify the number of years and the percentage of annual adjusted gross income for contracts at each participating institution and base the specifications on research to date; and
(4) Establish an immediate funding source for the first fifteen years of the pilot program and include the establishment of a revolving fund to deposit payments made under the pilot program.
5. A proposed pilot program may vary by institution depending on:
(1) The total cost of education at the institution;
(2) The portion of the cost that is paid by the state of Missouri;
(3) The number of years specified in the contract; and
(4) The percentage of annual adjusted gross income specified in the contract.
6. The department shall promulgate rules to implement the provisions of this section. Any rule or portion of a rule, as that term is defined in section 536.010, that is created under the authority delegated in this section shall become effective only if it complies with and is subject to all of the provisions of chapter 536 and, if applicable, section 536.028. This section and chapter 536 are nonseverable and if any of the powers vested with the general assembly under chapter 536 to review, to delay the effective date, or to disapprove and annul a rule are subsequently held unconstitutional, then the grant of rulemaking authority and any rule proposed or adopted after August 28, 2014, shall be invalid and void.