FIRST REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 527
97TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES SOMMER (Sponsor), CURTMAN, LICHTENEGGER, KOENIG, BURLISON, FUNDERBURK, KELLEY (127), BERRY, NEELY, LOVE, HICKS, WILSON, HAAHR, FITZPATRICK, PARKINSON, BAHR AND SCHIEBER (Co-sponsors).
1301L.01I D. ADAM CRUMBLISS, Chief Clerk
To amend chapter 21, RSMo, by adding thereto one new section relating to the joint committee on the tenth amendment.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Chapter 21, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto one new section, to be known as section 21.960, to read as follows:
21.960. 1. There is hereby established the "Joint Committee on the Tenth Amendment", which shall:
(1) Identify proposed federal legislation that infringes on Missouri's state sovereignty under the Tenth Amendment to the United States Constitution;
(2) Advise and make recommendations to the general assembly regarding any state legislation necessary to preserve the integrity and principles of the Tenth Amendment to the United States Constitution; and
(3) Refer cases to the attorney general when the federal government takes steps that require the state or a state officer to enact or enforce a provision of federal law that lies outside Congress's enumerated powers and intrudes on the sovereignty reserved to the states by the Tenth Amendment to the United States Constitution. The attorney general is authorized to seek appropriate relief to preserve the state's sovereignty.
2. The joint committee shall be comprised of six members of the senate and six members of the house of representatives. The senate members shall be appointed by the president pro temore of the senate and the house members shall be appointed by the speaker of the house of representatives. The appointment of members shall continue during their term in office as members of the general assembly or until a successor has been duly appointed to fill their place when their term of office as members of the general assembly has expired.
3. The joint committee shall hold an annual meeting at which it shall elect from its membership a chairperson and vice chairperson. The joint committee may hold such additional meetings as may be required in the performance of its duties.
4. The general assembly shall provide administrative support and staff as necessary for the effective operation of the joint committee from existing resources. Any expenditure of the joint committee shall be subject to appropriation.