FIRST REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 170
97TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES GUERNSEY (Sponsor), CURTMAN, JOHNSON, HINSON, KOLKMEYER, SMITH (120), NEELY, HIGDON, DAVIS, WILSON, SHULL, LOVE, PHILLIPS, ROWLAND, RHOADS, MILLER, FOWLER, LANT, CRAWFORD, BROWN, REDMON, FRANKLIN, KEENEY, REIBOLDT, FITZPATRICK, PIKE, LAIR, BRATTIN, DUGGER, FITZWATER, BURLISON, PARKINSON, ELMER, MCCAHERTY, CONWAY (104), HOUGHTON, BERNSKOETTER, LICHTENEGGER, ZERR, FLANIGAN, ALLEN, SCHIEBER, KELLEY (127), HICKS, RIDDLE, WALKER, HANSEN, WHITE, NETH, MUNTZEL, REMOLE, GATSCHENBERGER, FREDERICK, SPENCER, MOLENDORP, MCGAUGH, HURST, COOKSON, ROSS, POGUE, LEARA AND THOMSON (Co-sponsors).
0894H.01I D. ADAM CRUMBLISS, Chief Clerk
To amend chapter 571, RSMo, by adding thereto one new section relating to firearms, with a penalty provision and an emergency clause.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Chapter 571, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto one new section, to be known as section 571.048, to read as follows:
571.048. 1. It shall be unlawful for any officer or employee of this state, or any political subdivision, or any federal firearms dealer licensed under 19 U.S.C. Section 923 to enforce or attempt to enforce any act, law, statute, rule, or regulation of the federal government relating to a personal firearm, firearm accessory, or ammunition that is owned or manufactured commercially or privately in the state of Missouri and that remains exclusively within the boundaries of the state of Missouri.
2. Any official, agent, or employee of the federal government who enforces or attempts to enforce any act, order, law, statute, rule, or regulation of the federal government upon a personal firearm, a firearm accessory, or ammunition that is owned or manufactured commercially or privately in the state of Missouri and that remains exclusively within the borders of the state of Missouri shall be guilty of a class D felony.
3. Any person in violation of a federal law relating to the manufacture, sale, transfer, or possession of a firearm, a firearm accessory, or ammunition owned or manufactured and retained exclusively with the boundaries of the state of Missouri may request the attorney general to defend him or her for such violation.
4. Any federal law, rule, regulation, or order created or effective on or after January 1, 2013 shall be unenforceable in the state of Missouri if the law, rule, regulation, or order attempts to:
(1) Ban or restrict ownership of a semi-automatic firearm or any magazine of a firearm; or
(2) Require any firearm, magazine, or other firearm accessory to be registered in any manner.
Section B. Because immediate action is necessary to protect the rights of the citizens of this state the enactment of section 571.048 of section A of this act is deemed necessary for the immediate preservation of the public health, welfare, peace, and safety, and is hereby declared to be an emergency act within the meaning of the constitution, and the enactment of section 571.048 of section A of this act shall be in full force and effect upon its passage and approval.