FIRST REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 89
97TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVE COLONA.
0666L.02I D. ADAM CRUMBLISS, Chief Clerk
To amend chapter 571, RSMo, by adding thereto one new section relating to the crime of failure to secure a firearm, with a penalty provision.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Chapter 571, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto one new section, to be known as section 571.065, to read as follows:
571.065. 1. This section shall be known and may be cited as the "Firearm Responsibility Act".
2. A person commits the crime of failure to secure a firearm if such person fails to secure a firearm at all times such firearm is not in active use by:
(1) Engagement of a gun locking device; or
(2) Storage in a locked safe, gun box, or other similar container appropriate for the secure storage of a firearm.
3. Any person who violates the provisions of this section is guilty of a class A misdemeanor.
4. The provisions of this section shall not apply to any licensed law enforcement officer, licensed peace officer, or active member of the United States Armed Forces.
5. For purposes of this section, "gun locking device" means an integrated design feature or an attachable accessory that is resistant to tampering and is effective in preventing the discharge of a firearm by a person who does not have access to the key, combination, or other mechanism used to disengage the device.