SECOND REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 1609
96TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES NASHEED (Sponsor), HUMMEL AND HUBBARD (Co-sponsors).
5458L.01I D. ADAM CRUMBLISS, Chief Clerk
To amend chapter 167, RSMo, by adding thereto one new section relating to student study plans.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Chapter 167, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto one new section, to be known as section 167.780, to read as follows:
167.780. 1. Prior to the end of the student's seventh grade year, and in conjunction with the student's parent or guardian, each school district shall be responsible for ensuring that each student develops a personal plan of study based upon standards adopted under this section.
2. The school district shall adopt all necessary policies to implement a comprehensive guidance and counseling program focusing on career awareness in the elementary grades, career exploration at the middle grades, and educational and career planning at the high school level, with the goal of ensuring that all students will possess the knowledge and skills to develop and implement a personal plan of study.
3. The school district policy shall include, but not be limited to, the following elements:
(1) Active participation by counselors, teachers, administrators, as well as involvement of the student's parent or guardian in the development, review and revision of personal plans of study;
(2) Adequate resources and training for the development of personal plans of study;
(3) Adequate time and opportunity for schools to implement the individual planning process required in the development of personal plans of study;
(4) Access to the statewide, web-based educational and career planning system sponsored by the department of elementary and secondary education; and
(5) Opportunities for community involvement in the program, including activities such as job shadowing, volunteer experience, and internship experiences related to the educational and career goals of the student.
4. The personal plan of study shall be reviewed at least annually by school personnel and the student's parent or guardian and updated based upon the needs of the student. Each plan shall cover a term of eight years or until the student has reached his or her post-secondary goals. The plan shall include, but not be limited to:
(1) Requirements for graduation from the school district;
(2) Career or post-secondary goals based on career paths or career clusters;
(3) Course work or program of study related to career and post-secondary goals;
(4) Grade-appropriate, career-related experiences, as outlined in the grade level expectations of the Missouri Comprehensive Guidance Program;
(5) Student assessments, interest inventories or academic results needed to develop, review, and revise the personal plan of study; and
(6) Opportunities for a post-secondary experience based on the results of well-planned exploration and knowledge of all post-secondary opportunities including but not limited to on-site or virtual visits, internship, exploration and planning for financial aid, dual and articulated credit, advanced placement course work and other relevant experiences, as appropriate.