FIRST REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 728
96TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES McMANUS (Sponsor), NEWMAN, McDONALD AND HODGES (Co-sponsors).
1680L.01I D. ADAM CRUMBLISS, Chief Clerk
To amend chapter 191, RSMo, by adding thereto one new section relating to product safety.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Chapter 191, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto one new section, to be known as section 191.752, to read as follows:
191.752. 1. Beginning January 1, 2012, no person or entity shall manufacture, sell, or distribute in commerce:
(1) Any bottle, cup, or other container that contains bisphenol-A at a level above one-tenth parts per billion (ppb), if the container is designed or intended to be filled with any liquid, food, or beverage primarily for consumption from such container by infants or children three years of age or younger; or
(2) Any liquid, food, or beverage in a can, jar, or other container containing bisphenol-A at a level above one-tenth parts per billion (ppb) if the liquid, food, or beverage is designed or intended primarily for consumption by infants or children three years of age or younger.
2. When replacing bisphenol-A in accordance with this section, manufacturers shall use the least toxic alternative. Manufacturers shall not replace bisphenol-A under this section with:
(1) Carcinogens rated by the United States Environmental Protection Agency as A, B, or C carcinogens, or substances listed as known or likely carcinogens, known to be human carcinogens, likely to be human carcinogens, or suggestive of being human carcinogens, as described in the List of Chemicals Evaluated for Carcinogenic Potential or known to this state to cause cancer; or
(2) Reproductive toxicants that cause birth defects, reproductive harm, or developmental harm as identified by the United States Environmental Protection Agency or included in the state drinking water regulations.