SECOND REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE COMMITTEE SUBSTITUTE FOR
HOUSE BILL NO. 1848
95TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
4556L.02P D. ADAM CRUMBLISS, Chief Clerk
To amend chapter 262, RSMo, by adding thereto one new section relating to the urban farming task force.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Chapter 262, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto one new section, to be known as section 262.880, to read as follows:
262.880. 1. There is hereby established within the department of agriculture an "Urban Farming Task Force". The task force shall consist of fifteen members, as follows:
(1) The director of the department of agriculture, who shall serve as chair of the task force;
(2) The chair of the agriculture policy committee, or its successor committee, of the house of representatives;
(3) The chair of the agriculture, food production and outdoor resources committee, or its successor committee, of the senate;
(4) One representative of the University of Missouri extension services;
(5) One member of the house of representatives representing an urban district, appointed by the speaker of the house;
(6) One member of the senate representing an urban district, appointed by the president pro tem of the senate;
(7) The director of the University of Missouri Center for Sustainable Energy;
(8) One representative of the Missouri Botanical Garden;
(9) One representative of the Missouri Farm Bureau;
(10) One representative of the Missouri Sustainable Agriculture Association;
(11) A current operator of an urban farm or community garden;
(12) One member having expertise or participating in vertical farming;
(13) One representative of an agricultural organization in this state;
(14) One representative of the Kansas City Center for Urban Living; and
(15) One member who is a citizen of this state.
2. All members of the Missouri general assembly not appointed or listed in subsection 1 of this section shall be ex officio members of the task force.
3. The members of the task force, other than the director of the department of agriculture and the members of the general assembly, shall be appointed by the governor with the advice and consent of the senate. Members shall serve on the task force without compensation.
4. The task force shall study and make recommendations regarding the impact of urban farm cooperatives, vertical farming, and sustainable living communities in this state.
5. The task force shall include an examination of the following in its study and recommendations required to be completed under subsection 3 of this section:
(1) Trends in urban farming, including vertical farming, urban farm cooperatives, and sustainable living communities;
(2) Existing services, resources, and capacity for such urban farming;
(3) The impact on communities and populations affected; and
(4) Any needed state legislation or policies.
6. The task force shall hold a minimum of one meeting at three urban regions in the state of Missouri during the calendar year to seek public input.
7. The task force shall submit an initial report of its findings and recommendations to the general assembly and the governor no later than December 31, 2010.
8. The task force shall continue to meet at the request of the chair and at a minimum of one time annually for the purpose of evaluating the implementation and impact of the task force recommendations and provide annual supplemental reports on the findings to the governor and the general assembly.
9. The provisions of this section shall expire on December 31, 2013.