FIRST REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 278
95TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES MEINERS (Sponsor), CHAPPELLE-NADAL AND ATKINS (Co-sponsors).
0689L.02P D. ADAM CRUMBLISS, Chief Clerk
To amend chapter 301, RSMo, by adding thereto one new section relating to mobility motor vehicle dealers.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Chapter 301, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto one new section, to be known as section 301.571, to read as follows:
301.571. 1. For purposes of this section, the following terms mean:
(1) "Mobility motor vehicle", a motor vehicle that is designed and equipped to transport a person with a disability and:
(a) Contains a lowered floor or lowered frame, or a raised roof and/or raised door;
(b) Contains an electronic or mechanical wheelchair, scooter, or platform lift that enables a person to enter or exit the vehicle while occupying a wheelchair or scooter; an electronic or mechanical wheelchair ramp; or a system to secure a wheelchair or scooter to allow for a person to be safely transported while occupying the wheelchair or scooter; and
(c) Is installed as an integral part or permanent attachment to the motor vehicle chassis;
(2) "Mobility motor vehicle dealer", a dealer who is licensed as a new or used motor vehicle dealer under this chapter who is engaged in the business of buying, selling, or exchanging mobility motor vehicles and servicing or repairing mobility motor vehicles at an established and permanent place of business.
2. Notwithstanding any other law, a mobility motor vehicle dealer may:
(1) Purchase or otherwise acquire a new motor vehicle from a franchised dealer to fit or equip the motor vehicle for retail sale as a mobility motor vehicle from a franchised dealer wherever located;
(2) Display a new motor vehicle to a person with a disability to fit or equip the vehicle as a mobility motor vehicle for the person; or
(3) Sell a new motor vehicle that has been fitted or equipped as a new mobility motor vehicle with the resale occurring through or by a franchised dealer.
3. A mobility motor vehicle dealer who purchased or acquired a new motor vehicle from a franchised dealer to equip the vehicle as a mobility vehicle shall not advertise the vehicle for resale until the vehicle is fitted or equipped as a mobility motor vehicle.
4. A mobility motor vehicle dealer shall not, except as permitted by subdivision (2) of subsection 2 of this section, display or offer to display a new motor vehicle that is not a mobility motor vehicle to the public.