FIRST REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 659
95TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES DUSENBERG (Sponsor), WALLACE, AULL AND SCHAD (Co-sponsors).
1079L.01I D. ADAM CRUMBLISS, Chief Clerk
To amend chapter 162, RSMo, by adding thereto one new section relating to the transition of school governance.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Chapter 162, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto one new section, to be known as section 162.083, to read as follows:
162.083. 1. The state board of education may appoint additional members to any special administrative board appointed under section 162.081.
2. The state board of education may set a final term of office for any member of a special administrative board, after which a successor member will be elected by the voters of the district.
(1) All final terms of office for members of the special administrative board established under this section shall expire June thirtieth.
(2) The election of a successor member shall occur on the municipal election day immediately prior to the expiration of the final term of office.
(3) The election shall be conducted in a manner consistent with the applicable laws.
3. Nothing in this section shall be construed as barring an otherwise qualified member of the special administrative board standing for an elected term on the board.
4. If the state board of education appoints a successor member to replace the chair of the special administrative board, the serving members of the special administrative board shall be authorized to appoint a superintendent of schools and contract for his or her services.
5. On a date set by the state board of education, any district operating under the governance of a special administrative board shall return to local governance, and continue operation as a school district as otherwise authorized by law.