SECOND REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 1981
94TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES SPRENG (Sponsor), PEARCE, RICHARD, JETTON, DARROUGH, BRINGER, MEADOWS, VOGT, FRAME, LOWE (44), MEINERS, PAGE, PORTWOOD, WASSON, HUBBARD, VILLA, DAUS, ROBINSON, FALLERT, DOUGHERTY, KOMO, BROWN (50), DONNELLY, TILLEY, BLAND, SMITH (14), LIESE, YAEGER, CORCORAN, SCHOEMEHL, SCHNEIDER, NIEVES, SATER, AVERY, McGHEE AND BRANDOM (Co-sponsors).
Read 1st time February 4, 2008 and copies ordered printed.
Read 2nd time February 5, 2008 and referred to the Special Committee on Job Creation and Economic Development February 14, 2008.
Reported from the Special Committee on Job Creation and Economic Development March 12, 2008 with recommendation that the bill Do Pass. Referred to the Committee on Rules pursuant to Rule 25(21)(f).
Reported from the Committee on Rules March 27, 2008 with recommendation that the bill Do Pass, with no time limit for debate on Perfection.
Taken up for Perfection April 8, 2008. Bill ordered Perfected and printed.
D. ADAM CRUMBLISS, Chief Clerk
To amend chapter 135, RSMo, by adding thereto one new section relating to a tax credit for certain motor vehicle purchases.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Chapter 135, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto one new section, to be known as section 135.552, to read as follows:
135.552. 1. As used in this section, the following terms mean:
(1) "Qualifying motor vehicle", any new self-propelled vehicle not operated exclusively upon tracks, except farm tractors, that is assembled and sold in this state on or after January 1, 2008;
(2) "Tax credit", a credit against the tax otherwise due under chapter 143, RSMo, excluding withholding tax imposed by sections 143.191 to 143.265, RSMo, or otherwise due under chapter 147, 148, or 153, RSMo;
(3) "Taxpayer", any individual or entity subject to the tax imposed in chapter 143, RSMo, excluding withholding tax imposed by sections 143.191 to 143.265, RSMo, or the tax imposed in chapter 147, 148, or 153, RSMo.
2. For all taxable years beginning on or after January 1, 2008, a taxpayer shall be allowed a tax credit for the purchase of a qualifying motor vehicle. The tax credit amount shall be equal to the amount of state sales tax paid on such qualifying motor vehicle. If the amount of the tax credit issued exceeds the amount of the taxpayer's state tax liability for the tax year for which the credit is claimed, the difference shall be refundable. No tax credit granted under this section shall be transferred, sold, or assigned.
3. This section shall not be construed to prohibit the levy of any local sales tax, as defined in section 32.085, RSMo, on any sales of new motor vehicles assembled and sold in the state on or after January 1, 2008. In the event that any political subdivision has enacted a local sales tax on such sales, the political subdivision may, by order or ordinance, exempt such sales from the local sales tax law.
4. The department of revenue may promulgate rules to implement the provisions of this section. Any rule or portion of a rule, as that term is defined in section 536.010, RSMo, that is created under the authority delegated in this section shall become effective only if it complies with and is subject to all of the provisions of chapter 536, RSMo, and, if applicable, section 536.028, RSMo. This section and chapter 536, RSMo, are nonseverable and if any of the powers vested with the general assembly pursuant to chapter 536, RSMo, to review, to delay the effective date, or to disapprove and annul a rule are subsequently held unconstitutional, then the grant of rulemaking authority and any rule proposed or adopted after August 28, 2008, shall be invalid and void.
5. Under section 23.253, RSMo, of the Missouri Sunset Act:
(1) The provisions of the new program authorized under this section shall automatically sunset on December thirty-first six years after the effective date of this section unless reauthorized by an act of the general assembly; and
(2) If such program is reauthorized, the program authorized under this section shall automatically sunset on December thirty-first twelve years after the effective date of the reauthorization of this section; and
(3) This section shall terminate on September first of the calendar year immediately following the calendar year in which the program authorized under this section is sunset.